Stella! is a four-piece, all-women, American roots band from southeast Michigan and has been referred to as a singer-songwriter super group with three-part vocal harmonies and four songwriter voices. Stella! was first conceived of by singer-songwriter Jo Serrapere after a conversation with American music critic and Creem Magazine co-founder Dave Marsh. Jo was inspired to put together a new group to showcase country-roots songwriting. With the release of their debut album, "Sorry, Stella," the girls were invited to join Michigan-based music collective Earthwork Music (earthworkmusic.com).
Eclectic writer Jo Serrapere credits songwriter Tom Waits, early blues, jazz, and old-time country as her strongest influences. She was the founding member of the old-time string band, Uncle Earl. Jo has had two appearances on National Public Radio’s "A Prairie Home Companion" and three albums with her band, Jo Serrapere and the Willie Dunns, including her recent release, "Love Going South." "Love Going South" held the #1 position for two months on the Freeform American Roots Chart in fall of 2009 and was listed in their top 10 albums of 2009.
Jo asked songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Jen Sygit to join Stella! as another songwriting voice in the group. Jen’s voice adds deep blues tones to Stella! She plays acoustic and electric guitar, banjo, Dobro and Ukelele. Jen has three solo albums to her credit, including her newest release, "So Long Pollyanna." Her previous album, "Leaving Marshall Street" was nominated for a 2007 Detroit Music Award and charted at #9 on the Free Form American Roots Chart.
In the Fall of 2010 Stella! accquired singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, Laura Ann Bates. University trained in vocal performance, piano and flute, Laura has now taken up the upright bass. By pursuing opera in the classroom by day, bluegrass and folk in the bars at night, hymns and choral pieces on Sunday morning, she has developed a very diverse musical pallet. In 2007 Laura released a CD with songwriter Brandon Foote called "Jubilee." She also performs with the Lansing Vaudeville Troupe "The Little Darlin’s."
Fiddler, songwriter, and classical violist, Diana Ladio often accompanies Stella! Diana co-founded the Celtic Fusion duo, The Moxie Strings, who recently performed as soloists with the Battle Creek Symphony. When she shares the stage with Stella!, she brings classical, Celtic and old-time fiddle, and original fiddle compositions.
In April 2009 Jo and Jen traveled to New York City under the sponsorship of Marsh, and recorded their album in two days. "Sorry, Stella" was produced by Detroiter Adam Druckman and by Larry Eagle, percussionist for the Bruce Springsteen’s Seeger Sessions and the Andy Statman Trio. Fiddler Tahmineh Gueramy, bassist Katie Grace and pedal steel player and guitarist Skip Krevens joined the session. Skip has performed and recorded for Broadway productions and for songwriters such as Laura Cantrell. "Sorry, Stella," was released in late 2012.
Contact Jo Serrapere at Detroit Radio Music for booking and promotional information: email@example.com ~ 313.336.3343 ~ 313.316.1900 (mobile)
- Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival (Hart, MI)
- Flint Folk Festival
- Earthwork Harvest Gathering (Lake City, MI)
- Dunegrass Music Festival (Empire, MI)
- Woodtick Music Festival (Hermansville, MI)
- Kalamazoo Fretboard Festival
- Spirit of the Woods (Brethren, MI)
- Farmfest (Johannesburg, MI)
- Ann Arbor Summer Festival
- Cowpie Music Festival (Grand Rapids, MI)
- Arts, Beats and Eats (Royal Oak, MI)
- Great Bear Music Festival (Bloomingdale, MI)
- Thumbfest (Lexington, MI)
- WIMA fest (Traverse City, MI)
- Ypsilanti Crossroads Festival
- Nor-East’r (Mio, MI)
- Paint Creek Tin Whistle Concert (Rochester Hills, MI)
- Black Cat Concert Series (Charlevoix, MI)
- The Pump House Concerts (Lansing, MI)
- East Lansing Summer Concert Series
- Concerts @ Karen’s Place (Leonard, MI)
- Comfy Couch Concert Series (Wixom, MI)
- The Ark (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Bells Brewery (Kalamazoo, MI)
- The Trinity House Theatre (Livonia, MI)
- Salt of the Earth (Fennville, MI)
- New Holland Brewery (Holland, MI)
- Crazy Wisdom Tea Room (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Shorts Brewery (Bellaire, MI)
- Woodruffs (Ypsilanti, MI)
- Good Night Gracie’s (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Zingerman’s Roadhouse (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Johnny’s Speakeasy (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Moriarty’s Pub (Lansing, MI)
- Dave Marsh’s "Kick Out the Jams" Sirius Radio Program (NYC)
- WLNZ Radio Road Show (Charlotte, MI)